The sun’s rays beat upon my neck as I strained for a good hold on the rock face. Although I had conquered the two earlier rock climbs with ease, I was far from completing this one. Out of my mind were the fellow climbers below, watching my slow progress. It was just the cliff and me. My New Balance sneakers scrabbled for a toehold, as my straining biceps and the rope held my full weight. The Balayer down below, denied my accusations of aiding my climbing, but it was apparent that the rope was helping to no small degree. Finally my toe found a niche in the rock and I released some of the weight that rested on my arms. My hardhat shaded my eyes from the sun as I looked down the one hundred feet of rock that I had climbed; then over the shallow valley that stretched below me. The leaves had the green of late June, reminding me of my home in the Catskill Mountains.
I got back to my task of conquering the cliff. I had fifteen feet to go to be the first boy from our group to climb the hardest route of the day. The veteran rock climber below had assured me that it was climbable; and yet as I looked carefully up the last few feet, trying to plan the best line of attack, it looked impossible. Tentatively I extended my hand out on to the smooth surface and after a short time of groping I found a good hold. From that point the rock bulged out slightly and then sloped gradually away from me until it reached the top of the cliff. I began pulling myself up, inch by inch over the bulge. It had very few good holds and just as I got over it, I could felt myself teetering on the edge of going back wards or forwards. I suddenly was thankful for that rope which was not helping me to cheat, but to save my life! With a swift movement I hugged the rock and tried to push the fear away. I enjoyed the feeling of challenge and risk; but at the same time, I wanted to have it done with too. My muscles were tiring so I tried to move swiftly, yet carefully, up the rock. The top drew slowly nearer until I reached out my hand and felt the steel ring which the rope ran through. I let out a cry of exhilaration and the young men below congratulated me with shouts of their own. I saw Aaron, a close friend, taking some pictures. I looked out over the valley once more and tried to rest my exhausted muscles; I didn’t waste much time though, because I knew that Andrew and a few of the other athletic fellows would want to try out this rock.
I stood up and let the rope hold me. Leaning slowly back, I tried to get my footing ready. I called to the balayer that I was ready to rappel and he let out the rope for several feet as I jumped down the rock. I nearly hit some jagged parts of the cliff, which I had climbed up, but I took it slowly. Soon I was jumping down the last few feet to the firm ground below. The feeling of accomplishment was immense. Dave was starting up the rock as I walked over to the safety zone where a bunch of the guys were telling jokes while eating and drinking. I knew we would be leaving presently, but I knew too, that the feeling of accomplishment that I had gained wouldn’t leave me quite so soon.
-- True story by Ben
Monday, March 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment